- Mary is an active member of the Committee for Ethnic Affairs
for the Office of the County Executive of Montgomery County.
- The Committee serves as an advisory group to the County
Executive, the County Council and the Office of Community Outreach on
- The objectives of this Committee are to emphasize the
linguistic and cultural diversity of the County's government, business
and community affairs.
- Mary was appointed by the County Executive in 2002 and serves
as a Member at Large.
- In her capacity as Member at Large, Mary has arranged for the
Iranian-American community to celebrate the Iranian New Year at
Borders Books in White Flint Mall.
- This cultural experience was shared with the general
- The celebration included Persian classical music
- A Persian percussion ensemble
- Special New Year sweets
She also requested that, in observance of Iranian
New Year, all Persian children in the Montgomery County school system,
be given an official excused absence to celebrate Iranian New Year.